Of all the expected questions, “Why?” is no doubt to be the first among them. Why subscribe to a theory that is for non-subscribers? Why proclaim allegiance to a symbol that represents people who proclaim no allegiance? Why the Church of Satan?
To that my answer is always first, “Why not?”
Why NOT Satanism? I do not ask idly, as if there are no other choices or it is a flippant course or some phase.
I am assuming to this point that the reader utilized the offered links that divulge clearly, and in no uncertain terms, the agenda and doctrine of the Church of Satan. I am making a dangerous assumption that you have come to this point wiser and more knowledged than before.
Were that the case however you would not be asking “Why?” nor would you be curious to the answer; because you would know why.
For sake of clarity let me include it here, The Nine Satanic Statements, attached is my own appropriation and interpretation to each:
- Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence! – And why shouldn’t we indulge? As long as we remain free of the fetters of addiction and our vices come at no cost to anyone, including our friends, family and colleagues, indulgence is the best reward for the toil of modern man.
- Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams! – Vital. Existence. Say it with me… vital existence. Our lives are preciously short. How many of us carry regrets about loved ones or experiences that we missed because we were too busy looking past our own present? I can’t imagine looking past your own death. How much will we miss? How much will we regret? What will we sacrifice now for a promise we have no proof is ever kept?
- Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit! – Science. Logic. Reason. Free of the deniers who think that if they believe against facts hard enough, lies become truth. Global climate change or evolution are perfect examples.
- Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates! – We cannot help those that will not help themselves. Grace and charity are wondrous gifts to give to another human being, and to have them wasted by selfish people who only use people to keep from having to create on their own is not only childish, but worthy of reproach.
- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! – So true in these tumultuous days. Mass killings, religious fueled terrorist attacks, and other despicable hate crimes are on the rise at least in time spent reporting and circulating the events. Enough with tolerance and fighting hate with love! Love may be more powerful, but the destruction of ones enemies is far more efficient.
- Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires! – Responsibility to the responsible. We work hard each day, we honest humans who work long hours, prepare meals, raise decent children. We exist as a community because we all know the benefit of hard work and suitable compensation. We earn what we have and to have it sucked away from us by ingrates and perpetual victims is not fair to you or your loved ones.
- Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all! – We live on this planet as part of it. As another series of chemical and biological impossibilities. As miraculous as they are, there is no grand design to it. Simply periodic elements and atoms combining and mutating and learning to read and write. We may have conquered the globe, but that does not mean we can live apart from it.
- Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification! – The seven “deadly” sins. Oh you mean the motivations that drive us to survive? Call them what you will, they are natural feelings and only when taken to extremes are they sinful. Though anything taken to such lengths will be equally as sinful.
- Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years! – This is just an undeniable truth.
So there you have it. It’s not for free sex and drugs. I had those practically on tap before I ever subscribed to any tangible theology. It’s not for cruelty or a “free pass” to cause destruction and bloodshed. What purpose do those serve to modern man? It’s a liberation and a return to sanity.